commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [exec] design goals, API sketch, etc.. next step?
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 03:26:16 GMT
jerome lacoste wrote:
> The refactoring ended up here:
>
> http://moca.dynalias.com/~jerome/projects/exec2/
>
> (Unfortunately it seems like I messed up apache access rights, but I
> should make this code available tomorrow).

Let us know, I'll take a look. I don't think I ever saw this...

> - decide which requirements are important. What is the problem we are
> trying to solve? How do we position us compared to the official's API?
> etc... Someone using SDK 1.4 or 1.5 should find a compelling reason to
> migrate to commons-exec. The migration should be intuitive. Benefits
> for migrating clear. I think I exposed my ideas in the thread about
> the library's vision.

Sounds good. My main requirements:
- be able to run an external command in a small number of lines,
capturing or streaming output and pass in my own input handler. Have it
actually work on Windows and Unix et al when there are quotes, spaces,
etc in the binary, arguments, etc.
- be able to run a process in the background, find out when it finished,
kill it if necessary.
- wire it up in an IoC container so I can do even less code to configure
it :)

Cheers,
Brett