commons-dev mailing list archives

From Damian Hamill <dam...@herculeez.com>
Subject Re: media tools
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:03:56 GMT
Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> Damian Hamill wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it wouldn't be a small project but maybe not as big as
>> httpclient.  Of course it would depend on the number of
>> encoders/decoders included in the project.  There are a couple of
>> Java implementations already for MP3 and OGG/Vorbis but by different
>> parties and so work differently.  I would like to see a unified
>> interface to various encoders/decoders so client software can use a
>> simple API to access various kinds of media, hence my desire to see a
>> project in commons/jakarta to deal with this. I can't think of a
>> better home.
>

> I think this is already kind of covered by JMF. (see
> http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/reference/api/index.html),
> although this may be a bit broader scope than what you have in mind.

JMF needs to be installed on the users workstation, it isn't part of the
standard JRE and you can't just add the JMF jars to your jnlp or applet
classpath. Also it does not contain support for some popular compression
formats MP3, OGG/VORBIS, AAC, FLAC etc.

>> I await your advice on the issue of patents (Martin van den Bemt)
>> however should the possibility of patent issues stop us ?  I mean
>> there is a patent for MP3 but the folks at javazoom have released an
>> MP3 decoder.  Isn't it OK to release in source form ?
>>
>> how do we/I proceed ?
>

> First it needs enough support from current commons committers, which
> isn't there atm, before proceeding. I am not one of those supporters
> though, since I don't see myself getting involved in ayway with this,
> as it is technically not really my cup of tea.

OK I'll try contacting the implementors of what is out there so far to
see if we can get some kind of co-ordinated package together.  I still
think jakarta is the best home for something like this though.  Better
to be part of a single well known software repositry than numerous
divergent sources.

regards
damian