commons-dev mailing list archives

From Damian Hamill <>
Subject Re: media tools
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:50:18 GMT
I'm sure it wouldn't be a small project but maybe not as big as
httpclient.  Of course it would depend on the number of
encoders/decoders included in the project.  There are a couple of Java
implementations already for MP3 and OGG/Vorbis but by different parties
and so work differently.  I would like to see a unified interface to
various encoders/decoders so client software can use a simple API to
access various kinds of media, hence my desire to see a project in
commons/jakarta to deal with this. I can't think of a better home.

I await your advice on the issue of patents (Martin van den Bemt)
however should the possibility of patent issues stop us ?  I mean there
is a patent for MP3 but the folks at javazoom have released an MP3
decoder.  Isn't it OK to release in source form ?

how do we/I proceed ?

Henri Yandell wrote:

>Probably not within Commons. They all sound like quite large projects
>and Commons is more about smaller codebases.
>That said, I've never developed audio/video so maybe it's simpler than
>I think :)
>On 1/17/06, Damian Hamill <> wrote:
>>is there any interest in developing a set of media tools to handle the
>>various audo/video formats that are around ?
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail: