commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [logging] Using maven-changes-plugin to track issues?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:21:42 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:34 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Would anyone object if I add the maven-changes-plugin [1] to track
>> resolved issues in commons-logging? Today resolved issues are entered
>> into the section "Bugs Fixed" in RELEASE-NOTES.TXT. I'd like to replace
>> all text in that section with a pointer to the report on the web.
>>
>> The plugin produces a nice report [2] with all the resolved issues for
>> every release. It requires that the file xdocs/changes.xml is added.
>> It's already in use by most of the commons components.
>>

>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/reference/plugins/changes/
>> [2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/changes-report.html
>>

> Does that mean we need to re-enter info on all the fixed bugs into the
> changes.xml file manually? I'm not wildly interested in doing that task
> myself...

Yes it does. I'm willing to do it.

> For the release after this one, I'd like to move to maven2, so there's
> not much point in doing too much work on tidying up the existing build
> setup unless it adds value for *this* release.

The added value for this release is a nice report that commons-logging
users can look at on the commons-logging site, if they are interested in
what has changed since the last release. They can do this without having
to downloading commons-logging, extracting its contents to read
RELEASE-NOTES.TXT.

Moving to Maven 2 will not affect this. Maven 2 also has a changes
plugin that uses the same format for the changes.xml file as Maven 1 does.

--
Dennis Lundberg