commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: media tools
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:51:05 GMT

Damian Hamill wrote:
> I'm sure it wouldn't be a small project but maybe not as big as
> httpclient.  Of course it would depend on the number of
> encoders/decoders included in the project.  There are a couple of Java
> implementations already for MP3 and OGG/Vorbis but by different parties
> and so work differently.  I would like to see a unified interface to
> various encoders/decoders so client software can use a simple API to
> access various kinds of media, hence my desire to see a project in
> commons/jakarta to deal with this. I can't think of a better home.

I think this is already kind of covered by JMF. (see
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/reference/api/index.html), although this may be
a bit
broader scope than what you have in mind.

> I await your advice on the issue of patents (Martin van den Bemt)
> however should the possibility of patent issues stop us ?  I mean there
> is a patent for MP3 but the folks at javazoom have released an MP3
> decoder.  Isn't it OK to release in source form ?
>
> how do we/I proceed ?

First it needs enough support from current commons committers, which isn't there atm, before

proceeding. I am not one of those supporters though, since I don't see myself getting involved
in
ayway with this, as it is technically not really my cup of tea.

Mvgr,
Martin