commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [math] JSR 247: Data Mining 2.0
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:36:08 GMT
Phil,

This is a great idea as a specification and standard. We currently have
a service in our project which does something similar, but its mostly
implemented in Perl and R.

I wonder though, how much of it would be implemented at that database
level vs. in the application. For instance, in doing a transform that
returned a subset of a dataset from a db, it would much more efficient
to do it at the db level (in the query) than in the application itself.
But I like as well the idea of a standalone java based implementation
too (maybe on HSQLDB) or perhaps theres a direction that could be taken
with Hibernate as well.

-Mark