commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] StringUtils consumes a lot of memory ?
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:12:54 GMT
On 1/26/06, Stefan Rufer <stefan.rufer@netcetera.ch> wrote:

> I've heard about issues that objects whose static variables are not
> null are not garbage collected for certain JVM / classloader
> combinations. Tomcat suffers from this as well and this explains why you
> find "old" instances of StringUtils in memory.

It's not that easy. My core problem (which has nothing to do with
StringUtils btw) is that the WebappClassLoader is not GC'd by Tomcat.
This is due to some strong references to it. I'll have to find them in
the profiler (which is time-consuming).
The thing about StringUtils is that it uses so much memory (even
though padding is not used), not that it prevents the webapp from
being garbage collected.

Tom