commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy McBride" <andy.mcbr...@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject RE: [logging] log4j transition
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:27:46 GMT
Hi,

The log4j team now appear intent on restoring binary compatibility in the
1.3 codebase and are attempting to defer breaking changes to a later 2.0
release.

> However I think we've got enough in this release without buying into
> that issue too. In addition, I hate guessing the future on this; if we
> release a Log4J13Logger class and then it doesn't work with the real
> log4j13 that would be embarrassing.
>
> Any objections to reverting to the old naming and removing Log4J13Logger
> for now? [NB: I wrote it :-].

+1

I'm not sure which incompatible changes in log4j forced you to implement the
Log4J13Logger class but I wondered if they could now be resolved there,
negating any future problem with using JCL1.1.x with log4j1.3 ?

Regards

Andy