commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] please check release candidate 1
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:07:11 GMT
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:05 +0100, Boris Unckel wrote:
> Hello,
>

> robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org>
> > i've uploaded RC1 to http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging/.
> > please check and test the release candidate and report any mistakes or
> > problems.
> >
> Just to minor things:
> - docs/api is empty, can be removed (docs/apidocs contains javadoc)
>
> - It is comiled with 1.4.2_04 (version from manifest.mf):
> <!-- Version of java class files to generate. -->
>   <property name="target.version" value="1.1"/>
>
> <!-- Version of java source to accept -->
> <property name="source.version" value="1.2"/>
>
> The release notes state it could be build for 1.1, but it is not tested.
> Does the JDK1.4 compiler really produce 1.1 code? If not, I would set the
> target.version to 1.2, to avoid errors which do not clearly lead to the
> wrong class version.
>
> Second 1.4.2_10 is the actual version, for a new release I would prefer the
> latest compiler (even if there a just minor or no changes). JCL releases
> have a long life cycle, and will be widely spread, so it makes sence to
> compile with the latest available version.

sorry - my bad

it got very late for me last night and i was too tired to check :(

when i cut logging releases i do two compile runs (one with 1.2 and one
with a 1.4 JVMs) and then assemble the jars. used the wrong JVM to
assemble them.

i need to write a proper ant script for this process. the feedback will
be useful when creating it.

- robert