commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] minimal jar vs api jar
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:41:35 GMT
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 14:02 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Re the proposed "minimal" jarfile:
>
> What exactly are the differences between this and the existing
> commons-logging-api jarfile?
>
> As far as I can see, commons-logging-api.jar has the Jdk14Logger class
> in it, but otherwise is dependency-free.
>
> I vaguely remember comments about api "being a mistake because it's not
> usable out of the box" (I may have that quote wrong).

no - that's a fair statement of my opinions

IMO the mistake was in creating API classes (Log and LogFactory) which
could not be used independently. the static methods should delegate to a
single LogFactory implementation. any tricks with classloaders should
have been delegated to LogFactoryImpl.

> However it looks
> ok to me. Here's the contents from release 1.0.3:
>
> simon@blackbox:~/apache/commons-logging-1.0.3$ jar tf
> commons-logging-api.jar
> META-INF/
> META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> org/
> org/apache/
> org/apache/commons/
> org/apache/commons/logging/
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/Jdk14Logger.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/LogFactoryImpl$1.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/LogFactoryImpl.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/NoOpLog.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/SimpleLog$1.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/impl/SimpleLog.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/Log.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$1.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$2.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$3.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogConfigurationException.class
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogSource.class
> META-INF/LICENSE.txt
>
> The only differences I can see between this and the proposed "minimal"
> are:
>  * add WeakHashtable
>  * remove Jdk14Logger
>
> Can't we just make those changes to the api jar?

+1

good point: the API jar started out with a lot less in.

- robert