commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] release status
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:05:46 GMT
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 10:40 +0100, Boris Unckel wrote:
> Just as suggestion:
> There are some commons-logging compile dependencies. The manifest allows
> proprietary entries. It would be nice to have names and versions for
> dependet jars in the jar.

There aren't actually any *mandatory* dependencies; JCL can run
stand-alone. The user *might* want log4j or *might* want
avalon-framework, but that's up to them.

I suspect that the manifest can't represent this.

> Currently the manifest is specified by a file. You also could rely on the
> ant manifest task and create this during build.
> This eliminates also the need to work on two places (conf/manifest.mf) and
> build.xml for the same thing.

Yes, we could. However hopefully this release is the very last time this
buildfile is ever used. I'm reluctant to spend time tidying up something
that's about to become obsolete - just like the logging adapter code.

Regards,

Simon