commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject [logging] minimal jar vs api jar
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:02:15 GMT
Re the proposed "minimal" jarfile:

What exactly are the differences between this and the existing
commons-logging-api jarfile?

As far as I can see, commons-logging-api.jar has the Jdk14Logger class
in it, but otherwise is dependency-free.

I vaguely remember comments about api "being a mistake because it's not
usable out of the box" (I may have that quote wrong). However it looks
ok to me. Here's the contents from release 1.0.3:

simon@blackbox:~/apache/commons-logging-1.0.3$ jar tf
commons-logging-api.jar
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
org/
org/apache/
org/apache/commons/
org/apache/commons/logging/
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/Jdk14Logger.class
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/LogFactoryImpl$1.class
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/LogFactoryImpl.class
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/NoOpLog.class
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/SimpleLog$1.class
org/apache/commons/logging/impl/SimpleLog.class
org/apache/commons/logging/Log.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$1.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$2.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory$3.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogConfigurationException.class
org/apache/commons/logging/LogSource.class
META-INF/LICENSE.txt

The only differences I can see between this and the proposed "minimal"
are:
 * add WeakHashtable
 * remove Jdk14Logger

Can't we just make those changes to the api jar?

Regards,

Simon