commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] log4j transition
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:05:12 GMT
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:27 +0000, Andy McBride wrote:

> The log4j team now appear intent on restoring binary compatibility in the
> 1.3 codebase and are attempting to defer breaking changes to a later 2.0
> release.

Thanks for the info.

> I'm not sure which incompatible changes in log4j forced you to implement the
> Log4J13Logger class but I wondered if they could now be resolved there,
> negating any future problem with using JCL1.1.x with log4j1.3 ?

>>From memory the problem is the inverting of the Priority and Level
classes. In 1.2, Priority extends Level while in 1.3 Level was to extend
Priority or somesuch. This works in a compatible manner for most
methods, but not the Logger.log(FQDN, level, msg, t) method - which JCL
uses. That's from memory many months old now, so may not be 100%
correct.

I discussed this issue with them last year and they were determined to
push on with their plan. They do have to get rid of the old stuff
eventually, but it's very interesting that they are now considering
holding off on that until a 2.0 release. I'll try to find time to talk
to them about that but I don't think it affects the proposed JCL 1.1
release.

Cheers,

Simon