commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Using maven-changes-plugin to track issues?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:47:24 GMT
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 00:21 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:34 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Would anyone object if I add the maven-changes-plugin [1] to track
> >> resolved issues in commons-logging? Today resolved issues are entered
> >> into the section "Bugs Fixed" in RELEASE-NOTES.TXT. I'd like to replace
> >> all text in that section with a pointer to the report on the web.
> >>
> >> The plugin produces a nice report [2] with all the resolved issues for
> >> every release. It requires that the file xdocs/changes.xml is added.
> >> It's already in use by most of the commons components.
> >>

> >> [1] http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/reference/plugins/changes/
> >> [2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/changes-report.html
> >>

> > Does that mean we need to re-enter info on all the fixed bugs into the
> > changes.xml file manually? I'm not wildly interested in doing that task
> > myself...
>
> Yes it does. I'm willing to do it.
>
> > For the release after this one, I'd like to move to maven2, so there's
> > not much point in doing too much work on tidying up the existing build
> > setup unless it adds value for *this* release.
>
> The added value for this release is a nice report that commons-logging
> users can look at on the commons-logging site, if they are interested in
> what has changed since the last release. They can do this without having
> to downloading commons-logging, extracting its contents to read
> RELEASE-NOTES.TXT.
>
> Moving to Maven 2 will not affect this. Maven 2 also has a changes
> plugin that uses the same format for the changes.xml file as Maven 1 does.

Ok, go for it.

On the subject of the RELEASE-NOTES.txt, though, I would like to have
that available directly from the website, so people can see the release
notes without downloading the release. The commons-digester
site does this, for example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/commons-digester-1.7
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/commons-digester-1.7/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Cheers,