commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject [logging] log4j transition
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:30:57 GMT
Hi,

Given that log4j 1.3 still hasn't released, I would like to revert the
name of the log4J12Logger back to Log4JLogger for the 1.1 release, and
remove the Log4J13Logger.

The name-change will break any config files that explicitly specify that
logger name. That breakage will have to occur eventually as long as the
log4j team keep to their plan of making a binary-incompatible release.
However I think we've got enough in this release without buying into
that issue too. In addition, I hate guessing the future on this; if we
release a Log4J13Logger class and then it doesn't work with the real
log4j13 that would be embarrassing.

Any objections to reverting to the old naming and removing Log4J13Logger
for now? [NB: I wrote it :-].

Cheers,

Simon