commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [logging] Bug 38174 and JCL 1.1
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:28:56 GMT
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/binaryComp.doc.html

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:23 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [logging] Bug 38174 and JCL 1.1

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 19:17 +0100, Boris Unckel wrote:

> >> Please check to put the patch in bug 38174 into RC. Even if you decide
> >> against the logic in the new "doLog" methods, it would be nice to have
> >> the other cleanup (javadoc, same null behaviour for all classes).
> >
> > Please check my comments on that bugzilla entry.
> >

> I have read your comments and opinions in the bugzilla entry[1].
> As I do not want to put so much time in a more or less boring task
> (improving the JavaDoc and care for doLog single method logic is a lot of
> copy and correct paste) I have removed anything of the exception
behaviour.
> I have also removed the String.valueOf when the underlying logger accepts
> objects as message.
>
> Every file has single patch. With accident cause I did an format after
> removing the exception handling - sorry for that, it will cause more diff
> than is really different.
>
> Please consider again to put this into release.

i'm going through the patches (by hand) now.

i notice that a lot of the parameters are now declared final (which is -
usually - good). i would have expected that this should not effect
binary compatibility but unfortunately, i can't find anywhere in the JLS
where this is definitely specified. i'm very reluctant to add any
changes which risk (at all) binary compatibility issues.

anyone know of a definitive reference?

- robert