commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject [POLL] System.currentTimeMillis()
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:37:01 GMT
Hi folks,

I have written a generator for commons-id, that is based in the end on the
system clock. Unfortunately I have sporadic failures in Gump that I cannot
explain. I developed this on a Windows box, but had now a chance for a test
with Linux. Suddenly I have also sporadic failing tests. First I thought my
algorithm is flawed, but then I wrote this little unit test:

    public void testSystemTimeIsIncreasing() {
        long last = System.currentTimeMillis();
        for (int i = 0; i < 50000; i++) {
            long now = System.currentTimeMillis();
            assertTrue("Iteration " + i,  now >= last);
            last = now;
        }
    }

Believe it or not, this test will quite always fail within the first 10000
iterations on my Linux box. So how does this test behave on your boxes?
Please also note OS and JDK ...

- Jörg