commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs][REVOTE] release version 1.0
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:31:57 GMT

> > Checked again, and it works now! So I am +1 for the release.
> >
> No one else?

<snip/>

FWIW, I will express my non-binding opinion by the end of the week, if
this vote is still open.

> Should I delay the release until all the discussion around "how to
> release" and the "maybe to come" maven plugin has been settled?
<snap/>

Definitely not. No one knows how much work its going to be and how
long its going to take (some may have more of a clue than others, but
thats what it amounts to). Obviously, you and maybe others thought VFS
was ready for a 1.0 which is why we see this vote, and this vote and
release (if the vote passes), should continue according to the
"current procedures in effect".

> If so, I'll proceed with developing - else I'll release this week.

<snip/>

Some theorize that releases must not be disruptive to development.
While this has always been debatable (releasing is atleast disruptive
to the RM, if for no-one else, moresoever in Commons) -- I wouldn't
put it as an "if else" the way you do above. I'd recommend continuing
development in a branch of choice (which might as well be the trunk,
since you must've tagged the RC) while we wait for developments on
this vote.

-Rahul