commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dion Gillard <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [configuration][ALL] compatibility issues with hsqldb
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 07:29:43 GMT
I had a similar problem with Dumbster in commons-email.

I downloaded and rebuilt it in jdk 1.3, and asked the developers if
they were ok with that version being uploaded to ibiblio. Luckily
there wasn't already a jar there for the latest release.

I opened a ticket in the Maven jira to get it uploaded, waited a few
days and all was ok.

My suggestion is to work with the hsqldb guys.

On 12/3/05, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ATM I am facing a problem with hsqldb and JDK 1.3 compatibility and
> would like to know if the same occurred for other components (and if
> already a solution exists).
>
> Commons Configuration contains a class DatabaseConfiguration whose test
> class makes use of hsqldb. When trying to build the distros on JDK 1.3
> (which is the minimum supported JDK, so the release should be built with
> that) TestDatabaseConfiguration causes test failures: a class not found
> exception for java.sql.SavePoint.
>
> As I found out the cause for that is the hsqldb.jar distributed through
> ibiblio, which was built for JDK 1.4 and later. Indeed I was able to
> recompile hsqldb on JDK 1.3 and then the problem disappears.
> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a JDK 1.3 compatible version of
> a hsqldb.jar on the ibiblio maven reository (at least I did not find
> one). So this makes the build process on a JDK 1.3 very hard because the
> correct hsqldb.jar cannot be automatically downloaded.
>
> Do other components have the same constellation (dependency to hsqldb
> and minimum required JDK 1.3)? How is this handled there?
>
> Thanks
> Oliver

Bernard Shaw