commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Re: Gump & VM (was: [POLL] System.currentTimeMillis())
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:39:58 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:14 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have written a generator for commons-id, that is based in the end
>> on the system clock. Unfortunately I have sporadic failures in Gump
>> that I cannot explain. I developed this on a Windows box, but had
>> now a chance for a test with Linux. Suddenly I have also sporadic
>> failing tests. First I thought my algorithm is flawed, but then I
>> wrote this little unit test:
[snip]

> OK, I can analyse the situation. My current box was not
> totally synchronized
> and I had a daemon running, that adjusted the time smoothly.
> After compete
> synchronization the tests passes. Nevertheless, this does not
> solve the
> Gump problem, since I know, that they have often problems
> with the system
> time (we had last week one VM where 1 second exactly took 2
> real ones). So
> what can we do?

Since Gump runs in a VM and the VMs have much more problems synching the clock, I might rewrite
the tests, so they are only executed if the clock is reliable. OTOH any app using the class
in a VM may run into troubles also (despite the Javadoc, that already has such a hint). I
should probably log a warning if the class detects such a situation ... or decrease the time
resolution :-/

- Jörg