commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [logging] J2EE resource adapter
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:05:20 GMT
Hi Ortwin,

Ortwin Glück wrote on Monday, December 05, 2005 10:45 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody in the logging community thought of transactional logging
> yet? That means using a JTA transaction to collect logging statements
> and write them out on commit or discard them on rollback.
> Such a thing
> is generally useful when you write business logs. They are
> not used for
> debugging but to record for instance user actions in a
> system. You don't
> want to see uncommitted actions there generally. So I
> thought, why not
> provide a J2EE resource adapter (RAR) implementation for
> commons-logging. What do you think about the idea?

I don't think it is feasible for jcl. jcl is just a wrapper for the different logging frameworks,
but offer normally no additional functionality. Said that, you have a problem with an implementation
for a transactional logger, because you would have to collect the logging messages and hand
them over to the appropriate implementation with the commit. But this will create useless
logging timestamp information for all log entries. There is no workaround for this limitation,
since the logging APIs do not offer logging capabilities with an explicit and predefined timestamp
information.

IMHO you're better off implementing such a functionality for a specific logger implementation
and enable it in that configuration.

Thoughts?

- Jörg