commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [all] md5 checksum file formats
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:31:08 GMT
We seem to be converging on a "standard" (mentioned in
/releases/release.html as an ASF standard, but I can't find it
documented anywhere) for md5 checksum files that takes the form

hash *<name>

I am curious as to where the extra stuff comes from (i.e., why we
decided to add the * and the file name).   Looking around apache, I
find

httpd uses
hash <name>
(note no "*")

ant, struts, tomcat, geronimo use
hash

commons components are split between just having the hash and adding
on the "*name".

It seems silly to me to add the extra contents, since this is just
duplicating the file name inside the file.  Of course, I am sure there
is a good reason for this and I just don't know it, so maybe someone
can clue me in or point me to a link where this is documented?

Thanks!

Phil