commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Using maven.compile.executable
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:14:54 GMT
On 12/11/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
> > The simplest is to create manifestMods.txt including the replacement
> > line for the manifest and put the following into project.properties:
> >
> > #maven.compile.source=1.3
> > maven.compile.fork=true
> > maven.compile.executable=${user.home}/jdk1.3.1_16/bin/javac
> > maven.jar.manifest=manifestMods.txt
> >
> > (Note the top line *must* be commented out for jdk 1.3 compilation to work)
> >
> > But this is obviously bad in project.properties, since it forces the
> > executable to be there.
> >
> > So, I am thinking best is to add build.properties.sample with the
> > lines above, but checkin and distribute the manifestMods file.
>
> Could we name this build-jdk1.3.properties? Then it is obvious what is
> going on.

Good idea.  Don't know off the top of my head if I can get maven to
load these properties iff the file is present.  I will look into this.

> Can the maven.compile.source flag be overridden (ie removed) in
> build-jdk1.3.properties if it is set project.properties?

That should be possible - set it to null.  I will try this.

> Can we get a maven change to deal with maven.compile.source (ie. don't
> use it on a JDK1.3 compile)?

The problem is that when you set maven.compile.executable, maven has
no way of knowing what the jdk is (other than guessing from path
name).  What fails is the invalid -source option to the compiler.
Could be that could be trapped.  I will investigate.

> Suggest manifestMods.txt goes in /src/conf where the normal mf file is.

Yes.

> Or could we get a maven change to remove the need for manifestMods.txt?

Jira ticket(s) opened (MPJAR-49,50).  Here again, the tricky bit is
having maven discern the jdk version from the user-supplied
executable.

> Good work so far :-)

Thanks!

Phil