commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HELP! - WAS: Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:18:45 GMT
On 12/4/05, Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/3/05, Steve Cohen <scohen@javactivity.org> wrote:
> > > Nope, 1.6.
> > >
> > > This is sort of what I meant when I said it's harder to do these
> > > releases.  How is one supposed to KNOW what versions of these 30 or 40
> > > plugins you have to have in order to build a release?
> > >
> > > Does Jakarta or Jakarta-commons have a page that tells you the minimum
> > > maven setup needed to do a site release?  If not, it probably should
> > > have.  I know this is a dynamic process, but this is nuts.
> >
> > Good point.  Right now http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html
> > just contains the statement "Be sure to follow the instructions for
> > upgrading the plugins to the latest releases."  We could either doc
> > the full set there or check in the output of maven --info as a text
> > file in commons-build, making changes to that as necessary.  I would
> > recommend the second option, with a link on the "building" page.  I
> > will do that if no one beats me to it.
>
> If we really do *have to have* a specific release of a plugin, it
> should be a dependency of the project.
>
> Noone should be forced to remember it.
>
> Worst case, we should provide a link to suggested upgrades and details
> about what to expect if you don't.

Agreed.  I tried yesterday to add plugin version dependencies to the
commons-build POM (the most logical choice).  This got maven to
download the updated versions when necessary, but I did not get
consistent results from maven --info afterwards, so I did not commit
the change.  It could be that my local setup got messed up due to
removing / updating plugins during testing.

I added a script to install all of the versions (probably more than we
need) to commons-build root, called pluginUpdate.txt.  Dennis provided
a patch for the "building" page mentioning the xdoc 1.9+ dependency.
It would probably be a good idea to add a "troubleshooting" section
describing commons problems due to wrong plugin / maven versions, etc.
 Any other suggestions / patches / updates welcome.

Phil