commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HELP! - WAS: Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:17:43 GMT
> On 12/3/05, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/3/05, Steve Cohen <scohen@javactivity.org> wrote:
> > > Nope, 1.6.
> > >
> > > This is sort of what I meant when I said it's harder to do these
> > > releases.  How is one supposed to KNOW what versions of these 30 or 40
> > > plugins you have to have in order to build a release?
> > >
> > > Does Jakarta or Jakarta-commons have a page that tells you the minimum
> > > maven setup needed to do a site release?  If not, it probably should
> > > have.  I know this is a dynamic process, but this is nuts.
> >
> > Good point.  Right now http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html
> > just contains the statement "Be sure to follow the instructions for
> > upgrading the plugins to the latest releases."
>

> Is it just me going blind, or are those instructions missing? All I see is a
> link to a page that has a big list of plugins. I don't see instructions on
> upgrading my plugins. ;-(
>

> We could either doc
> > the full set there or check in the output of maven --info as a text
> > file in commons-build, making changes to that as necessary.  I would
> > recommend the second option, with a link on the "building" page.  I
> > will do that if no one beats me to it.
>

> +1 to the second option. +1000 to a script that will automatically update my
> Maven installation with those versions of the plugins. ;-)

hmmm...I have a bash script ;-)

It just consists of a bunch of lines like this:

maven plugin:download -DgroupId=maven -DartifactId=maven-ant-plugin
-Dversion=1.9
maven plugin:download -DgroupId=maven
-DartifactId=maven-artifact-plugin -Dversion=1.5.2

Another thing that might work would be to add explicit dependencies to
the required versions in commons-build's project.xml.  Then executing
even the clean target there would make maven download and install them
all.  I will play with this and if it works, just commit the change
there and change the docs to recommend this.

Phil