commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Javapolis speech on Commons
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:54:10 GMT
On 12/7/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I'd also like to cover vfs and resources, especially
> why resources is different from configuration.

I just had a quick look at the Configuration docs for the first time
and whilst there appear similarities (both providing mechanisms to
retrieve data from sources such as XML, properties files, JDBC etc)
and you could view things such as messages (one purpose of Resources)
as configuration data IMO there are significant differences in their
aims.

Configuration is a more generic facility for configuration data whilst
Resources is specifically targetted at retrieving "localized"
resources - i.e. what you get depends on your Locale and is an
alternative to the java.util.ResourceBundle. It also provides a
Message representation and message handling facilities including
formatting (using java.text.MessageFormat) and parametric replacement
in messages.

Niall