commons-dev mailing list archives

From Yannick Menager <ymena...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VFS] Contributions to the project
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:08:52 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>> Require services to provide the meta-data information that could then be
>> transfered and exposed to the client. Using either anotations on 1.5, or
>> for example an xml file on older systems.
>>
> Hmmm, what if we use a simple properties file to describe them.
> e.g. SvnCheckout.properties
> port=The port used for communication
> host=The host
> then we can localize them too. We can have separate files or one per
> "service group".
>
> How to mark a parameter optional (or not) is a good point.
Yup, because of that, and other kind of information that will be needed
( i.e. a description of what the action does ), i think an xml would be
a better match

i.e.

<action-metadata>
    <description>This action allows to checkout the file on the SVN to the local filesystem</description>
    <argument name='revision' optional='true' description='The revision that should be
checked out'/>
    <argument name='targetDir' optional='false' description='The directory to which the
code should be checked out'/>
</action-metadata>

> Today I would use annotations for it (e.g. @NotNull) but we have to
> stick with jdk 1.3 for a while.
> For now we can put then into another properties file too and provide
> the suggested api to query it, so we can change this to annotations it
> we are able to upgrade.
No reason why not have both :-)

If the code is running in a 1.5 vm, check for annotations, if it's not,
or no annotations were found, check for a metadata xml.