commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Lewis <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: [VFS] setting read-only, hidden, etc
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:52:38 GMT
While I do not actively post on this list or contribute to VFS, I have
used VFS extensively and been trying to start on a project that would
both use it and allow me to contribute. I have given a great deal of
thought to the permissions and have a suggestion. There are two primary
types of permissions models that need to be accounted for, and nearly
everything falls under these. There are UNIX type permissions -
user/group/owner and read/write/execute, and there are Access Control
List based systems, which is what Windows, Solaris, and many other
systems (including some Linux versions) implement.

I would implement these as two completely different sets of discoverable
capabilities. A given file or file system type may support neither,
either, or both. Many systems would never support any, Windows would
support ACL style, Linux would support Unix style, and Solaris may
support both.

A Unix style would have to be able to deal with users and groups as
numerics, and possibly provide an interface for resolving those groups
to names where the information can be obtained for the underlying file
system.

An ACL system would also have groups, group membership, users, a set of
distinct assignable rights, etc. ACL is certainly the more complex
system to implement.

The reality does remain however that some level of native interface will
be required for many of these, but that is an implementation detail that
matters for each specific file system and should not prevent adding a
support framework to VFS. While I haven't looked at what the underlying
library support, it occurs to me that a CIFS system might be the ideal
candidate to use for developing the ACL test case as it should be doable
with no native code.

Note that I would put together something to contribute if I had time.
Since I haven't I wanted to at least throw the results of my thoughts
out for discussions since the topic has come up.

Thanks!