commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] setting read-only, hidden, etc
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:33:10 GMT
Hi!
> I'm making a prototype of File to VFS adaptor
> (http://svn.jguild.com/vfs-contrib/src/org/apache/commons/vfs/util/jio/),
> which made me realise that there is no support for setting a bunch of
> stuff like read-only, hidden, etc, that a File does...

These limitation are simply due to the restrictions of the most
filesystem libraries, they simply do not provide such a mechanism, even
for local files we have to go the native way to change those attributes.
> 2) Deprecate or remove the getters, add a new Service/Action/Operation
> that allow to get/set that information.

When we deprecate those methods is another story, but to figure out a
common way how to modify attributes and security constraints will be the
first challange. Implementing such a stuff as Service/Action/Operation
at a first step will be great.
We need to find a way to express the various security systems
linux/windows using one api.
I am currently out of time to think about in detail, but maybe something
like

file owner (with an set of permissions for windows/linux)
file users (other users with special rights - with an set of permissions
representable only for windows)
file usergroups (n groups in windows. only two: group/other in linux)

---
Mario