commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [all] Sharing maven setup [was Re: HELP!]
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:58:26 GMT
>>I don't much like the idea of adding dependencies to each of the
>>individual POMs, but understand that this makes the dependency
>>explicit, which is a good thing.  So I guess I am +0 for this
>>approach.  Actually +1 as in "will help" if others agree we should go
>>this route instead of the updatePlugins approach.
>
> I'm more than happy with the updatePlugins approach. It's KISS at its best.
> ;-)
>
> I remain -1 on reverting to extending the commons-build POM

I agree that we should not extend the commons-build POM. However we
could do with a way to share stuff.

I have in my mind that what we need is a commons maven plugin. It would:
- create target/commons
- download commons-build within target/commons
- update the local maven installation
- merge the latest mandatory POM settings
- merge the latest mandatory POM properties
- merge the latest mandatory xdocs

Thus, to push a site or release out you do:
maven commons
then any other command:
maven ...

This is probably a pipedream though, as I doubt anyone has the time to
write this (ie. I don't!)

Stephen