commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <>
Subject Re: HELP! - WAS: Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:52:28 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Brett Porter <> wrote:
>> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> Brett said that this *should* work, so I decided to try it myself. I
>>> received the same results as you did Phil, regarding maven --info, but I
>>> think I understand what is going on now. I have posted a question about
>>> this on the maven-users list to see if I can get some confirmation.
>> Sorry this went over my head earlier, but Dennis' analysis on the usres
>> list is correct. Maven --info doesn't reflect the difference as it
>> reports what's installed. Plugin dependencies are only used for the life
>> of the project's build, not installed.
>> So the dependency should work regardless of what maven --info says. Is
>> that the case?
> Then the solution to add the necessary dependencies to commons-build
> won't work and what we need to do is something like pluginUpdate
> (bunch of explicit plugin installs from the command line).  Correct?

No, as I will elaborate on further down, it will work nicely. I'll leave
aside for a moment the discussion whether or not it's a good idea to
extend project.xml from commons-build in other components.

Setting up dependencies for a specific version of a Maven plugin, i.e.
the xdoc and site plugins, works the way we want them to. I have tried
this and it's easy to set it up. Here's what needs to be added in
commons-build/project.xml for site generation:

This will ensure that building the web site for commons-build will
always use these versions of the plugins, regardless of what the user
has installed on his or her system. So far all is good. Now on to the
"to extend or not extend" discussion...

If commons component A extends the project.xml file from commons-build
these dependencies are transfered to that component, meaning that
component A doesn't have to worry about dependencies for site generation.

However, if commons component B does *not* extend the project.xml file
from commons-build these dependencies will have to be repeated in the
project.xml file for component B. Hopefully these dependencies would not
change all that often, meaning that little work would have to be done in
order to keep this working, once it has been set up properly.

Either way I think there is a big win including these dependencies in
commons-build and all commons components. What do you think?

Dennis Lundberg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message