commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [logging] J2EE resource adapter
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:18:11 GMT

Jörg Schaible wrote:
> I don't think it is feasible for jcl. jcl is just a wrapper for the
> different logging frameworks, but offer normally no additional
> functionality. Said that, you have a problem with an implementation
> for a transactional logger, because you would have to collect the
> logging messages and hand them over to the appropriate implementation
> with the commit. But this will create useless logging timestamp
> information for all log entries. There is no workaround for this
> limitation, since the logging APIs do not offer logging capabilities
> with an explicit and predefined timestamp information.
>
> IMHO you're better off implementing such a functionality for a
> specific logger implementation and enable it in that configuration.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Jörg

Jörg, thanks for your feedback. I know that it is just a wrapper. That's
an advantage in my opinion. Because the resource adapter could then be
used with any logging framework. The timestamp problem has also occurred
to me. It can not be solved by using Log4J directly either. I don't mean
the rar should go into the standard JCL distribution. It could be an
add-on package.

Ortwin