commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [all] Maven, help or hinderance?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:31:29 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Steve Cohen <scohen@javactivity.org> wrote:
>
>>Phil Steitz wrote:

>>>What exactly is broken here?
>>>Sites that follow the instructions here
>>>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html
>>>or start with the sample nav here
>>>

>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/navigation.xml.sample
>>
>>>will link to current and previous release javadoc from the top level
>>>nav.  Pretty much all maven-generated commons sites do this now.
>>>
>>>The real challenge is what Stephen mentioned and Brett responed to,
>>>which is how to maintain javadoc for past releases.  Now these files
>>>have to be manually pushed out and links custom coded in
>>>navigation.xml.
>>>
>>>Phil

>>You're missing the point here, Phil.  It's working as someone intended,
>>I'm sure, but the location of Javadocs buried under "Project Reports" is
>>bad from an end-user usability perspective.  Granted, consistency is a
>>good thing and frequent users may eventually learn, but it would be
>>better for javadocs to be a top-level menu item.  The "Javadoc Report"
>>is a report and is in the right place but the Javadocs themselves are
>>misplaced.
>

> It's trivial to just add a link to them in your navigation.xml file. See the
> FileUpload, IO or Validator sites for examples.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

Not quite so trivial.  The commons-io site evidently pushes two sets of
javadocs, one for "SVN latest" and another for the last official
release.  Net only has one and the one it has, although it's location is
named analogously to io's "SVN latest", actually points to net's last
official release.  So I suspect there's also some maven magic going on
here as well.

This is a nice feature, the way you have it in IO.  Shouldn't this be
part of the standard commons maven process?