commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: HELP! - WAS: Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:57:40 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Good point.  Right now http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html
>>> just contains the statement "Be sure to follow the instructions for
>>> upgrading the plugins to the latest releases."  We could either doc
>>> the full set there or check in the output of maven --info as a text
>>> file in commons-build, making changes to that as necessary.  I would
>>> recommend the second option, with a link on the "building" page.  I
>>> will do that if no one beats me to it.
>> If we really do *have to have* a specific release of a plugin, it
>> should be a dependency of the project.
>>
>> Noone should be forced to remember it.
>>
>> Worst case, we should provide a link to suggested upgrades and details
>> about what to expect if you don't.
>>
> Agreed.  I tried yesterday to add plugin version dependencies to the
> commons-build POM (the most logical choice).  This got maven to
> download the updated versions when necessary, but I did not get
> consistent results from maven --info afterwards, so I did not commit
> the change.  It could be that my local setup got messed up due to
> removing / updating plugins during testing.

Brett said that this *should* work, so I decided to try it myself. I
received the same results as you did Phil, regarding maven --info, but I
think I understand what is going on now. I have posted a question about
this on the maven-users list to see if I can get some confirmation.

--
Dennis Lundberg