commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jbre...@wi.rr.com>
Subject Re: [net] Minimum jdk/jvm version for net ( future ) ( was: Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1? )
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:18:45 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Steve Cohen wrote:
>
>> We need to discuss this further.
>> Mario Ivankovits VFS is a client of Net and he has users still on 1.3
>> who are complaining that Net 1.4 breaks VFS.
>
> And not only my users constantly complain about it. AFAIK this is also
> true for other commons components.
> Though, there is an end of live for jdk1.3 and so we sould also to
> define such a point in the future.

Understood, I thought we discussed at some point development would move
towards using 1.4+ features and just support a 1.3 version ( bug fixes
only ).  So in that case VFS would lock into the 1.3-compat version and
not move forward until it could shake the 1.3 dependency?

> Personally I see this point reached in 6 months, but understand if we
> have to stick on 1.3 for the next year.
>
> Then we should jump to jdk 1.5 (with jdk 1.4 api) and use retroweaver to
> provide the jdk 1.4 version.
> Our releases should then contain jars for both (1.5 and 1.4)
> I know there are the same issues with api compatibility, but if we run
> our tests against both jdks we should be fine, also it might be possible
> to have an api checker which will check the generated classes against
> the classpath.
> Whatever, we might find a way to archive this.
>
> I know, this is somehow radical, but our code starts to smell and become
> spider webs if we have to stick on 1.3 for the time being ;-)

Yes, and we can't make use of newer features ( nio in this case I
believe ).  There hasn't been much new development in net wrt nio so I
guess it isn't an immediate concern.  I was just wondering if there was
a min/max jdk/jvm version imposed by Jakarta Commons.