commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:56:47 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks, Martin.  I stand corrected then and will shut up about this.
> To close this out, I guess we are agreeing that we have no standard
> for line endings and will make no attempt to make them consistent.  I
> did not know the Windows cvs client was also converting the files, so
> thought this was a "new" problem introduced by svn.  Sorry for the
> noise.

I was the one who initially raised this issue. The reason I raised it is
that most _users_ run Windows. And the default text editor on Windows is
Notepad which doesn't handle LF. Basically if I download a release and
oopen the release notes, or project xml then I want CRLF, otherwise I
have to close the file, find wordpad and reopen it.

Now I understand the argument that our users are developers and shoud
know how to change file associations, and so on. But we here are
probably at the higher end of Java/programming knowledge. I want us to
cater for users who are more Junior. Also, Notepad is very quick to
start and open a small file, which is why some of use (ie. me) choose to
leave the txt to notepad association.

This discussion however, seems to have yielded no real solution to this.
I suspect that what is actually happening is that more commons release
managers now use Unix than previously, thus the problem is more apparant.

Currently, I setup a custom ant script for each project I release, and
never use maven for building. That way I can fix crlf for the root level
text files in the zip and lf for the tar.

However, as this discussion didn't reach agreement, I shall have to keep
quiet on this subject in future release votes.

Stephen