commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [all] Commons Manual
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:33:05 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Let's imagine a manual existed for Commons committers. It would assume
> that a committer understands the ASF, ie) they've read the
> Apache-Committer-Manual (imagine that exists too). What would the
> chapters be?
>
> Initial list:
>
> * Short description of Commons/Introduction.
> * Communication. How to use the mailing lists. Voting.
> * Subversion information. How to check code out.
> * Maven information. How to build.
> * Site information. How to generate the site. How to upload your changes.

This also needs specific info on what versions of Maven and it's plugins
are needed to build the site. I browsed through Building Components [1]
which is quite good, but it lacks the version details. We should also
update the section describing the POM elements to use groupId/artifactId
instead of just id. Would you like me to write a patch for this?

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html

> * Releasing. How to release.
> * PMC. What they're there for (Commons point of view).
> * Legal. How to not screw-up.
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Idea, if it's not obvious, is to bring together the various bits of
> information on wiki's, site and more importantly in people's heads.
> Stick it in a more concrete form and tell people to go read it.
>
> Hen

Dennis Lundberg