commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 03:30:26 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 12/2/05, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>this culture needs to change: there are still too few people nominating
>>new pmc'ers. IMHO it is an important part of the responsibility that
>>comes with nominating someone as a committer that you will guide them
>>through the first few weeks or months as a committer and (when they are
>>ready) nominate them for the pmc.
>>
>>the progression from committers to pmc'er should be natural and
>>relatively quick. definitely, all release managers should be pmc'ers.
>>anyone who knows enough about apache to manage a release should be on
>>the pmc.
>

> It's the wrong list, ie) should be on general@, but I'm thinking that
> we should just set in stone a date at which point a new committer is
> listed on the pmc list and asked if they should be on the pmc (to the
> person nominating them as committers).
>
> So let's say Robert becomes a committer today. This would be noted in
> a file. In 6->9 months time (ie when the chair does the report), any 6
> month old committers would involve a question to the person nominating
> them as committers as to why they shouldn't be nominated.
>
> So culture change. One in which people are challenged to exclude, not
> expected to remember to include.
>
> Hen

Hen:

This is a valuable discussion but perhaps we need a different subject
for the thread?

To get back to the original subject matter:
It looks as though Rory was pretty well able to resolve the questions
about the provenance of his code, although, I understand the lawyers may
still want to look a little closer.  Do you have any idea when this
cloudlet might be lifted and we can contemplate a release?