commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:51:17 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> -1 to any commons-net new release. see pmc thread for details (if any
> committers aren't on the pmc please shout and i'll nominate you)
>
> - robert
>
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 07:47 +0100, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>
>>Steve Cohen wrote:
>>
>>>As I have little time now, I propose the following.  1.4.1 will be
>>>just 1.4.0 with whatever changes are needed to reverse the dependency
>>>on jdk 1.4.x.  No other bug fixes will be included.
>>>
>>>Re-vote
>>>
>>>+1 [yes]
>>>-1 [no]
>>
>>+1
>>
>>---
>>Mario

OK.  Robert is referring to a serious issue here.  It's prudent to wait.
  There are questions about copyright on one of our classes.

The thread Robert refers to has the subject

"Re: Does Apache have agreement to use other open source code outside of
Apache?"

and it's all in the last couple of days.

So we have to wait.

Which is just as well.  Because I have another issue.  I don't
understand the maven.compile.target property.  Working from the net
1.4.0 tag, I change only project.properties to set maven.compile.target
back to 1.2.  Since there are a few places in 1.4.0 that depend on jdk
1.4, my expectation was that changing the project properties would cause
the compile to break on those places.  But it did not.  It compiled
successfully.

Why wouldn't it break?

Can someone explain how this works?