commons-dev mailing list archives

From Giorgio Gallo <giorg...@overlord.it>
Subject Re: commons-concoct - new project proposal
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:37:53 GMT

I might be wrong, but I think I've seen an URI implementation in Axis
(don't know if it's a strict RFC-2396 implementation, a java.net.URI
backport, just something they needed or something that does its best to
interpret any messy string passed in)

For me, I buy the "simply use the : as a delimiter" part :-)

To be honest, the very first scratch of the library relied on URIs, but
on a second thought I think URIs do not fit well in a library like this...

java.net.URIs:
- They are only available from jdk1.4 - of course ;-)
- They don't require the scheme to be specified, and I don't think
  there's a way to properly implement relative URI semantic in
  concoct
- They don't parse "string:a string" (" " must be escaped with %20)
- They don't parse "string:##"
- They don't really provide any useful functionality for the lib, aside
  for syntax checking - which is not really useful IMHO

RFC-2396 URIs:
- defaulting to "string:" when no scheme is specified - a welcome
  feature IMHO, and one that would ease adoption of the lib in with
  .properties files - does not fit well with relative URI semantics
- the grammar is more strict than needed (see deviations in java.net.URI
  code)
- all the path stuff is irrelevant for the lib
- they require escaping beyond that of the scheme used and (possibly)
  the file format they are stored in (such as entity escape for xml).