commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all] Together, and bricks apart
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:00:06 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> I search a little bit, and guess what, we have such a documentation
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html
>
> We have to rework it, tough.
>
> *) In the area of "class file format" we should state that we not allow
> to use only the "target" attribute but also require to use the correct
> jdk version: the version the project was designed for.
+1
I believe that the ideal is to compile with JDK 1.4/1.5 but using
bootclasspath to pickup the JDK1.2 libraries.

That said, I tend to just use JDK1.3 to compile (no bootclasspath). In
theory this can affect JDK1.2 users, but
a) there are very few of those
b) there were no bytecode change 1.2-1.3 AFAIN
c) non one has ever reported an overloaded method issue either

> *) And we need a new point of what files we need to crlf fix.
I don't intend to -1 a release on this. The key files are the top level
release notes.

> *) And I dont know why we should fix all bugs, its not very productive
> to mark all bugs as "later" and after the release revert the status again.
Personally, I've never done that.

Stephen