commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: [all] Together, and bricks apart
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:50:45 GMT

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> Thats true, I'll learn with every release review too, but can do this
> only if another one complains about this and that.
> If I read the stuff you do to check a release I am shocked, damn much
> work to do.
>
> At least one of you "release checkers" ;-) should setup a wiki to
> describe every step to do,  this helps the release manager and those
> checking it.
> Especially if you are a newbie in the release cycle it might be a great
> start AND it defines standards.

Everyone does this in its own way. You can look at outstanding issues, run tests check for
test coverage, look at the preperation that has gone into it (dev traffic, commits for a component)
and the "human factor" is also important for me. What I also normally do during development
of the applications I make during the day, is make source dependencies on those components,
which will give some kind of feeling about those components.
Most of the time I will not vote for components I have used myself.  VFS, Validator and Configuration
fall into that category atm.

> And e.g. we started to discuss if we have to convert line-endings -
> after years (!) of commons releases - and we were not able to have a
> vital discussion about this little topic.

It actually took me 12 days to send a reaction to that one, so not really a quick response,
but I also never received a response to my question / conclusion. You can only detail read
so much, so most of the time I am just skimming and stop at interesting threads and now and
then I actually miss someting I would like to read.

I tend to focus more on (for me) productive things, since (almost) all of my open source efforts
happens/has to happen in my spare time, which is limited..

Mvgr,
Martin