commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jci] Deprecated? :)
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:10:18 GMT
On 12/10/05, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Sorry for the delay ...was on the plane to San Diego :)
> >>
> >> JCI - Java Compiler Interface aims to provide a common
> >> API to for all compilers that generate java classes. So
> >> far it supports
> >
> > Does the new Mustang compiler API replace JCI in concept, or is there
> > something more detailed about JCI?
>
> "replace" is a harsh word :)
>
> TBH I wasn't aware that someone resurrected that JSR.
>
> I tried to contact the (former?) spec lead before I
> came up with JCI because I needed a solution *now*
> ...and could not wait for the JCP. AFAIU it was more
> or less dead for a while.
>
> Now looking at it ...there is an overlap for sure
> but it just seems to provide a subset of what JCI
> provides.
>
> I would say JCI replaces the JSR request
> from 2002 in concept ;)
>
> But maybe someone else should have a look at the
> APIs and give a statement ...I figure I am a bit
> biased :)

I won't claim to have a clue, but one idea might be to talk to Harmony
about their someday implementation of the JSR. Is there a value for
JCI adapting to be an implementation of the JSR, or would it be like
asking for an implementation of JDBC - Useless without a context.

Is this effectively the commons-logging equivalent for this JSR?

Hen