commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "MathWishList" by PhilSteitz
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:20:57 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by PhilSteitz:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MathWishList

The comment on the change is:
Update to reflect completed items, added multiple regression

   * Add remedian statistic - [http://www.agoras.ua.ac.be/abstract/Remrob90.htm The Remedian:
a Robust Averaging method for Large Data Sets]
   * Add alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
     * "implement good random number generators, e.g., like those described in ''Numerical
Recipes'' or Knuth". -- AlChou
-    * I highly recommend working with Paul Houle [http://www.honeylocust.com/RngPack/] to
get these random number generators integrated into the math library. He has stated to me in
the past that he is willing to relicense them under the Apache license. As well I beleive
that with the BSD being compatable with Apache licensing, there would be little stopping us
from integrating them ourselves as a derivative work. - Mark Diggory
+    * I highly recommend working with Paul Houle [http://www.honeylocust.com/RngPack/] to
get these random number generators integrated into the math library. He has stated to me in
the past that he is willing to relicense them under the Apache license. As well I beleive
that with the BSD being compatable with Apache licensing, there would be little stopping us
from integrating them ourselves as a derivative work. - Mark Diggory - Pluggable as of 1.1
release.
     * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete distributions [http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]
   * Add sparse matrix implementation.   [http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=736078]
   * Add Vector implementation (RealVector would extend RealMatrix)
@@ -19, +19 @@

   * "Rolling" statistics with large windows but limited storage [http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=41870]
     * I don't understand; we already have some storage-less statistics.  What am I missing
from the post you refer to? -- AlChou
     * Oh, I remember now that with the standard deviation algorithm I researched, in order
to maintain a '''rolling window''', it would have to store all the data in the window so it
could delete the least recent one while adding the most recent one.  Sorry for the denseness.
-- AlChou
+  * Numerical Enhancements
+      * Fast Fourier Transform - Code needs review and commit (BZ #36404)
-  * [[Anchor(summerofcode)]] Numerical Enhancements (Summer of Code Proposal)
-    * Du Li
-      * an approximation package, with an emphasis on the support for B-splines, which is
used to approximate curves in general, given a set of points on the curve.
-      * generic PDE/ODE solvers, with built-in support for Poisson/heat/wave equations.

-      * an optimization package, including linear programming (simplex method, later also
interior point method), quadratic programming, nonlinear unconstraint/constraint minimization,
later will also include search methods including genetic programming.
-      * a simulation package, to provide a framework for running (Quasi)Monte-Carlo simulations
-    * James Stephenson
-      * Compressed Matrix Storage classes for Diagonal and Sparse Matricies.
-      * Advanced Matrix Decomposition Methods including Singular Value Decomposition, Q-R
Factorization, and L-U Decomposition.
-      * Advanced Matrix Solvers including Gauss-Jordan, Gauss-Seidel, the Jacobi solver,
and the Relaxation method.
-      * Matrix Functions optimized for Sparse and Compressed format for existing and newly
developed functions.
-    * Xiaogang Zhang
-      * Integration and Quadrature
-      * Interpolation and Extrapolation
-      * Root Finding (add Ridder's method, Muller's method, Laguerre's method.)
-      * Fast Fourier Transform
       * [http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html Post-SOC TODO List] - Xiaogang Zhang
-  * ANOVA in stat.inference package. Is this beyond the scope? --SamikR
+  * ANOVA in stat.inference package.
+  * Multiple regression [http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200401.mbox/%3c20040128222224.17393.qmail@web41704.mail.yahoo.com%3e]