commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Heaton" <r...@theheatonhome.com>
Subject [jelly][vote] APT tag library
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:48:23 GMT
I'm adjusting the thread subject to reflect the fact that there is a vote going on for two
things:

1. Acceptance of the new APT tag library (described below)
2. Acceptance of me as a committer to support the new apt tag library, if it gets accepted.

So far, I have recorded three people voting positive for both proposals:

Dion Gillard
Hans Gilde
Paul Libbrecht

APT Tag Library Description
---------------------------

The APT tag library is a new tag library for Jelly that provides tags for working with the
new Java 5 Annotation Processing Tool
(APT).  I believe this tag library would be very useful for developers who wish to use APT
to generate source code or other
documents from java source.  Included in the list of tags would be XDoclet-like tags that
iterate through the declarations and types
of a given source base when the JellyContext is populated with the AnnotationProcessingEnvironment.

I have found Jelly could provide a much-needed abstraction on top of Sun's APT Mirror API
that would make APT much more useable.
Developers could write a simple Jelly script instead of implementing an AnnotationProcessor.
 The script would be a template of
sorts for the generated documents.

Basically, this tag library is to the APT api what JSP is to the Servlet API.

Also, please consider the following:

1. The use of this tag library would require Java 5.
2. Associated closely with this libarary would be the relevant implemenation classes for com.sun.mirror.apt.AnnotationProcessor
and
any other APT-specific classes.

Thanks,

-Ryan