commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [ALL] [WAS Re: Committer cleanup]
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:54:50 GMT
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:14 -0500, Eric Pugh wrote:
> I agree with the 1 year mark.   I know that there are projects that I
> haven't worked on for six months until the itch came back and I had
> to scratch it!  Is there any reason to remove committers?
> Performance?  Security?  It seems to raise a barrier to reentry for
> dormant committers.

i'm also a little concerned about barriers to (re-) entry: the higher
the barrier to re-entry, the more strain this places on the core commons
committers. in terms of removing commit access, 6 months seems too short
but is probably too long to help to highlight problems with components.
1 year is more acceptable but IMHO this is a jakarta-wide issue.

but i agree with the general strategy. we need to find out when the
number of active committers reaches a minimal threshold.

a more pressing problem is voting: there have been a number of votes
which have failed due to apathy. given the new understanding about the
legal status of pmc's, the commons voting procedures are now seem out
dated.

- robert