commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [vote][net] Release commons-net 1.4.1?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:54:58 GMT
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 08:08 +0100, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
> > Any active committer should be on the PMC, unless they've only
> > recently joined, so if you're active kick away and one of us will
> > gladly nominate you.
> >
> I wasnt aware that we (the committers) are allowed to be on the PMC list.

they aren't but all active committers should really be nominated for the
pmc. i didn't realise before that you and rory were not or i would have
nominated you before :-/

only those on the pmc are legally entitled to cast binding votes for
official ASF decisions and the ASF cannot help those who are not on the
pmc. so, it's crucially important that committers who make any sort of
sustained contribution are nominated for the pmc.

> I thought it need some time until a committer can become a PMC.

this culture needs to change: there are still too few people nominating
new pmc'ers. IMHO it is an important part of the responsibility that
comes with nominating someone as a committer that you will guide them
through the first few weeks or months as a committer and (when they are
ready) nominate them for the pmc.

the progression from committers to pmc'er should be natural and
relatively quick. definitely, all release managers should be pmc'ers.
anyone who knows enough about apache to manage a release should be on
the pmc.

- robert