commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <>
Subject Re: [all] md5 checksum file formats
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:46:33 GMT
>From memory it came up a couple of times on the dev list, but I could only
find this:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Steitz" <>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 2:31 AM
Subject: [all] md5 checksum file formats

We seem to be converging on a "standard" (mentioned in
/releases/release.html as an ASF standard, but I can't find it
documented anywhere) for md5 checksum files that takes the form

hash *<name>

I am curious as to where the extra stuff comes from (i.e., why we
decided to add the * and the file name).   Looking around apache, I

httpd uses
hash <name>
(note no "*")

ant, struts, tomcat, geronimo use

commons components are split between just having the hash and adding
on the "*name".

It seems silly to me to add the extra contents, since this is just
duplicating the file name inside the file.  Of course, I am sure there
is a good reason for this and I just don't know it, so maybe someone
can clue me in or point me to a link where this is documented?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message