commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dion Gillard <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven build fixes affecting almost all projects
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:28:16 GMT
On 11/8/05, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> Dion Gillard wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:11 PM:
>
> > Questions:
>
> As a general answer to the <increasedVersion>-SNAPSHOT: A POM with a final version
should never be available as latest trunk revision. Such a version may only be in the POM
when the release is cut and later immediately returned to a snapshot version. Why? Everyone
that checks out the sources, builds and installs the artifacts will overwrite the official
version from the remote repositories. Even worse if one deploys and has the right to deploy.
In the first case only the user with the wrong version in his local repository is affected
in the second one the whole community ... remember commons-io-1.0 case.

What if the source hasn't changed from the release? This is the case
for at least one of the changes. I'd rather the POM in trunk reflect
what the code is. If the code changes, bump the POM. Is that such a
hard thing to do?

> Said that, I believe that the cli version should have been increased in the POM also
and it was an oversight not doing so. IMHO we should just decide, what version scheme should
be used for snapshots. IMHO artifact-<major>.<minor>-SNAPSHOT is always enough

> - Jörg

Bernard Shaw