commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject RE: [logging] What's needed for a release
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:29:28 GMT
Hi Robert,

robert burrell donkin wrote on Saturday, November 12, 2005 2:00 PM:

>> * Consider Joerg Schaible/Joerg Hohwiller's "getChildLogger"
>> proposal. I'm tempted not to include this, though. Getting a release
>> out is probably the highest priority.
> IMHO i need to be certain that everything's exactly right
> before i'm willing to commit it. i was trying to work through
> the issues and making sure i understood them but this went a
> bit quiet.
> either of the two Joerg's around to advocate it's inclusion?

My original proposal was to add getName to the Log interface, but I used it to create a "getChildLogger"
functionality. Joerg Howiller added a new LogFactory interface extending Log to ensure backward
compatibility, where this new functionality and other things have been added.

To use the new functionality I have to cast every Log instance, but since I might also have
to deal with an implementation of another party, I cannot rely on it. So for my personal use
case, this solution is also not appropriate, since in such a case I still have no valid fallback.
I understand now, that my naive first proposal would backward break compatibility I would
rather wait for a 2.0 version of JCL to add this. That version might break compatibility anyway
(and might therefore also need new package names).

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message